We are looking for a Release Management Engineer for our client who will be responsible for planning, coordination and execution of planned software releases. This position entails handling of DevOps team responsible for automated CI/CD deployments.
- Responsible for the Release Management lifecycle that involves the stages such as release planning, scheduling the release, coordinating between teams, and deployment of release as per the schedule and within budget.
- Will have to deploy builds to Dev/SIT/UAT/Testing environments and release the software after completing the testing stage and deployment stage, and work closely with the application development team, testing team, and production team.
- Concerned with planning, testing, tracking, release, deployment, communication, and risk management.
- Maintain documentation related to procedures on build and release, various notifications list, and dependencies.
- Team up with relevant development teams responsible for building the automation tools used to develop and deploy the software.
- Schedule the release readiness reviews before deployment and milestone reviews after each release.
- Make improvements in the methodologies used for configuration management and development of software that helps to find ways to use in configuration management.
- Coordinate the release schedule and resources required depending upon the third-party applications, defect backlogs, planned releases, and infrastructure updates.
- Identify the risks that can delay the release and manage them, such that the scope scheduled, and quality of the release are not affected.
- Build release and deployment dashboards for CI/CD to measure deployment success and usage.
- Execute, control, and manage a schedule of planned releases to pre-production and production environments.
- – Liaise with Operations to resource the installation of software onto pre-product and production environments and keep them up to date. This includes maintaining the scale between pre-prod and prod.
- Work with QA, Development, and Operations to ensure that development projects adhere to the release process and change procedure guidelines.
- Proficiency in version control systems (e.g., Git, SVN).
- Extensive knowledge of CI/CD tools and automation (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, Ansible).
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Strong scripting and automation skills (e.g., Python, Bash).
Relevant certifications in release management, DevOps, or related areas are a plus (e.g., Certified Release Manager, AWS DevOps Engineer, Docker Certified Associate).
Communication and Collaboration:
Excellent communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
Strong problem-solving abilities to address unexpected issues and challenges during the release process.
Attention to Detail:
Meticulous attention to detail to ensure precise tracking and documentation of releases.
Ability to adapt to evolving technologies, processes, and project requirements.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. A relevant master’s degree may be preferred.
The ideal candidate for this role should possess a minimum of 5 years of experience in the software development, release, and configuration management field. Specifically, they should have:
- A track record of at least two years as a Configuration and/or Release Engineer.
- Demonstrated expertise in implementing ITIL best practices, particularly in Release Management, Configuration Management, and Change Management.
- Proficiency in Configuration Management, including familiarity with Unix/Linux environments.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with the ability to solve problems effectively in an agile manner.
- Excellent coordination skills to manage the diverse needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience with various vendors, enterprise applications, large relational databases, and distributed infrastructures (e.g., ERP applications).
- Familiarity with multiple Release Management software tools.
- Exceptional attention to detail, self-motivation, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, while upholding high-quality standards throughout the release process.
- Proven experience in Agile development environments.
- An ITIL Foundation certification would be a valuable asset.
- Familiarity with specific technologies such as IBM FileNet (or similar enterprise-scale Content Management applications), IBM AS400, IBM Tivoli, WebSphere, and highly distributed UNIX and JAVA platforms.
- Working knowledge of source control tools like Aldon, TFS, GitLab, Code Analytics tools, or similar platforms.
- Previous experience in either operations or development roles.
- Experience with modern source control, packaging, and software release tools and methodologies.
- Ensuring Testing Adherence: The primary focus is to make sure that testing activities align with the defined scope of the application, system, or related components. This involves closely following established testing processes and ensuring that team members adhere to these processes.
- Production Reliability: Another crucial aspect is guaranteeing the reliability and consistency of systems when they are deployed to the production environment. This means that the candidate will play a role in ensuring that software or applications work smoothly and consistently in a live production setting, minimizing disruptions.
- Team Skill Enhancement: The role includes a commitment to improving the technical skills of the team members. This involves mentoring, facilitating self-learning using learning and development resources, and participating in internal and external training opportunities. Sharing industry experiences is also encouraged to enhance the team’s overall expertise.